Fast-tracking passport applications
Due to coronavirus disruption, it is currently taking up to six weeks to renew or replace a passport online. It can take even longer if you apply by post or if applying for a first adult passport. Passport offices and the premium and fast track services are currently closed.
However, you may be able to get a passport urgently to travel for compassionate reasons or work, or to prove your identity. For example, if you are applying for a job, mortgage or benefits.
Compassionate reasons to travel include:
- you or someone you care for needs urgent medical treatment in another country
- a family member or friend in another country is seriously ill or has died
Valid reasons for urgent travel to another country could apply if, for example, you work:
- for an airline or haulage company
- offshore, for example on a rig
- for government or local government and you’re doing business abroad
- in healthcare
- for social services and you need to travel with children
- for the armed forces or the police