New guidance on cookies published
The guidance looks at cookies and similar technologies in detail and it is relevant to any organisations operating online services such as websites or mobile apps. It covers:
- What cookies and similar technologies are
- What the rules are on cookies and similar technologies
- How the cookie rules relate to the GDPR
- How to comply with the cookie rules
- Other matters to consider.
The blog highlights, and aims to debunk, the myths that:
- Organisations can rely on implied consent for cookies
- Analytics cookies are strictly necessary, so consent is not needed
- Organisations can use a cookie wall to restrict access to their websites until users consent
- Organisations can rely on legitimate interests to set cookies, so consent is not needed
- The ICO wants online services to stop using cookies and similar technologies.
The ICO highlights that cookie compliance will be an increasing regulatory priority for it in the future an